how to make a soap & sugar poultice
- grated bar soap
- a small amount of water
- Wash the area with the splinter/glass/thorn with soap & water to keep clean and pat dry.
- Soak the area for 20-30 minutes (with epson salts if available) to soften skin. The splinter/glass/thorn may come to the surface on its own and you can remove the item with a sterilised pair of tweezers. If not, carry on to step 3
- Grate some bar soap. Add equal amounts of grated soap and sugar into a bowl, and add a small amount of warm water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the thick paste to the area which contains the splinter/glass/thorn and wrap with a bandage or large plaster. Keep the poultice on overnight or for 24 hours, making sure to keep the poultice area dry.
- Remove the poultice and wash the area. Check the area to see if the splinter/glass/thorn has been removed, or is at the surface so that you can remove with sterilised tweezers. If not, reapply a fresh batch of soap & sugar poultice and leave for another 24 hours or as needed.